Look, we’ve ALL been cooped up at one point or another during this pandemic. We have cleaned, organized. We’ve mastered sourdough and finally wrangled all those dust rhinos (mine weren’t cute little bunnies!) from under every piece of furniture.
And as you sit back to enjoy your accomplishments, your eyes gaze out your windows…UGH. Mis-matched drapery, ill-fitting miniblinds you bought to make do, hand-me-downs that were in the house when you bought 15 years ago, or even worse… nothing. Nada. Just heat-sucking, glare-producing sheets of glass! EEEK!
‘MAKE DO’, NO LONGER!
BUT wait, before you RUSH into buying new shades for your home, let us share the top 6 mistakes to avoid when ordering your window treatments online.
- GET FABRIC SAMPLES. You’re excited. You’ve made the decision to invest in your home, your comfort, your privacy. YAY! Good for you! Now, take a deeeeep breath and order fabric samples FIRST. Our samples are complimentary. Yes, ordering them, delays the gratification of checking off your ‘to do’ list, but it is SUCH a crucial step. Your phone or computer screen can totally misrepresent the colors. Truth. Light is different in your home, and it has the power to transform colors. So order fabric swatches. They’re FREE. This way you won’t be disappointed that your brandy new shades look ‘too something’.
- THINK FUNCTION. We gotta break the news to you…LOOKS are important, but not more important than function. Yes, of course you want them to look fabulous, and they will. Shading dramatically changes the look of your room. But do not pick a shade solely because you like the way it looks. The shade has to WORK for your lifestyle: your new WFH style. Do you have a TON of heat coming into your East-facing windows in the morning? Does the glare make looking at your computer monitor excruciating? Top Down/Bottom up Shades can provide total window coverage or just a smidge, depending on your need. Does your older home have drafts that freeze you to the bone? Our Energy Saving Sidetracks will seal those dastardly drafts! And if you don’t know what kinda shade or fabric will work best for your particular window situ, our shady gurus are here to guide you!
- MEASURING FOR SUCCESS. We’ve all heard that adage, “measure twice, cut once.” Well, we say, “Measuring Correctly with our AWESOME instructions” Each shade we handcraft is made to precisely fit each window. And no two windows are the same. Like snowflakes. Never assume they are. It is a dangerous road. When windows aren’t measured properly, it can lead to HUGE light gaps, letting in blinding Sun that you wanted to eliminate in the first place! Now don’t fret. We have super duper helpful videos. We have worksheets. We have step-by-step instructions and if that’s not enough, we’ll connect with you via Facetime (or the like) and walk you through it. We got you. Cross our shady hearts.
- WHERE OH WHERE TO MOUNT? While we’re on the topic of measuring, have you heard about the differences between inside mounting and outside mounting your shades? Whaaaaaa? You haven’t?! Oh my, ok so…. there are two ways to install your shade. Outside (on top of the window frame) is ideal for ultimate light blocking, and for wonky windows (ya know the ones that look more like a trapezoid or parallelogram). Outside mounting also covers those *clears throat* less attractive frames. Inside mounting is the most common. Snug as bug in…ahh window? Yep. You should also consider the depth of your window frame. Is it enough to accommodate all of our insulating powers?! And if not, will you be ok with a tiny under-hanging?
- WHAT’S YOUR M.O.? OMG, so you’ve decided what kinda shade you want. You’ve ordered samples and picked the most perfect color for each room. You’ve measured and re-measure…and it’s time to ORDER! HOLD it, right there, buckaroo. Have you explored all the fantastical shading options? Our ‘standard’ shade is awesome and meets the needs of a lot of homeowners. But there is SO much more to explore. We have cordless shades, ideal for a home with small children or pets. Cordless shades are sleek, but don’t necessarily work for every window. We know of one customer whose husband is 6’5. He sweetly ordered Top Down/Bottom Up shades for his wife’s home office. She’s 5’4. She couldn’t use the Top Down feature without breaking out the step stool. NOT convenient for everyday use. He called us back and purchased an extension pole, and now ALL are happy! There are a LOT of different operating systems(even motorized). You can choose what side you want the cord to be. How much insulation do your windows need? Our double-cell fabric is ideal for saving energy on your heating/cooling. And then there are our Energy-Saving Sidetracks. They aren’t for every window, or every home. But when they are needed, they are TRULY life-altering.
- DON’T FORGET PROTECTION. Now, what happens if, perish the thought, something happens to your brand spanking new shade? Animals & kiddos, wild disco painting parties happen. Life happens. We’re human too. We totally get it. Step 1. DON’T PANIC. You simply gotta do business with a company that understands all of this. We have an AWESOME warranty. And our shades last for decades. No, we’re not overstating. Our shades last for 1, 2 sometimes 3 decades. They’re THAT good. So, that’s something super duper important when ordering your shading online. ANYONE can sell you something, but not everyone supports what they sell. Once you order with us, you become a part of our shady family.
- HOME OFFICE FUEL. What are we talking about? That magical, warm, rich, *slightly addictive*, comforting, some would go as far as saying their ‘dark lord’….COFFEE! Personally? I quit coffee for 2 years. Nope, didn’t even substitute tea or any other caffeinated products to offset. And I gotta tell ya, my life was empty. I missed my buddy, coffee. Whatever trips your trigger, make sure to enjoy your beverage of choice at your home office. Because there you can make it EXACTLY the way you love it, and not have the barista butcher your name.
Email us: email@example.com